Thursday, November 11, 2010

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes- Menkens

Menken's- Don is beyond rude to Rachel Menken the first time they meet. Rachel Menken is a woman on a mission, she wants to succeed in the business world, eventually find a love, and be a man. Yes that’s right; I said she wants to be a man.

When Don first walks into the meeting with Rachel Menken he reaches out to shake the hand of the man standing next to her. He assumes that this Jewish looking man is the owner of the department store. I would love to know what Rachel was thinking as this was happening... Especially because unbeknownst to Don, Roger had introduced that Jewish man to her as "David Cohen from the art department". To make Rachel feel like she was among her own people, Roger pulled David from the mail-room.

His first insult to her is followed by a witty remark, "You were expecting me to be a man, my father was too"

She seems to be making the most of this potentially uncomfortable situation, but its short lived.
Don, Roger, and Pete explain the strategy they have come up with for her store and she is by no means impressed. "We share a wall with Tiffany’s, honestly a coupon?" "Ms.Menken I think your father would agree with the strategy."
Uh-oh Don, big mistake, now Rachel is going to break out the big guns!

"I'm not interested in housewives; I want your kind of people Mr. Draper, people who don't care about coupons, whether or not they can afford it, people who are coming to the store because it is expensive."

Rachel Menken is a woman on a mission, she knows what she wants for her store and Sterling Cooper is trying to advice her otherwise. She understands the research, she understands what she should do, but she doesn’t want to do any of those things; and she’s not afraid to let these big bad men know exactly how she feels.

"I’m not going to let a woman talk to me like this. This meeting is over."

Well that’s what I call a conversation stopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment