Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mad's men come full circle

I decided to re-watch Mad Men from the beginning just to see some things I might not have picked up on. By the time I finished episode one I noticed something very interesting that I wanted to share.

Don goes over to Midges because he's really nervous about Lucky Strike, and he says something along the lines of "I'm washed up, all the young execs are going to come like vultures and pick my bones".... In season four Roger has a flash back of when he met Don, and he later said almost the same exact thing to Joan(his own mistress) about Don being one of those young vultures.

This revelation brought me to the conclusion that the men on the show are all slowly turning into each other:

Don's marrying a younger, brunette, secretary just like Roger did. Let's take a minute to remember the rift between Don and Roger, Don was not trying to hide how angry he was over Roger marrying his secretary.

Roger got Joan pregnant, he's married and shes leaving him completely in the dark about it. This is similar to what happened between Pete and Peggy. Peggy had no idea that she was pregant so of course she kept it from Pete, but she also waits all of season two before telling him what she did about the baby. Joan was seen on the phone with Greg saying shes pregnant with his baby so I assume shes going to keep up the rouse to Roger, who thinks she's had an abortion anyway.

Ken Cosgrove is marrying a woman whose father has money and could be a client just like Pete did. In Season One Ken actually says I have to get married when Pete lands his father in laws account. Yet in season four he won't even consider talking to his. He says something along the lines of this is work, she's my life. I think they could be the couple of the show that doesn't cheat on each other.

Harry was unfaithful to Jennifer in season one but they worked it out and had a baby. But from the way Harry was looking at the model in the season four finale he was acting like every other married man on the show. More of a Roger though because they were both so keen on being faithful, Harry after his one night stand with Hildy and Roger once he was married to Jane, yet season four brings them both back to their old philandering ways.

Even Henry Francis seems to be slowly becoming more and more like Don. One of my professors said it best, "Henry is interesting because you could argue that Betty is turning Henry into Don --- although Henry was a Don-in-training when he first appeared, pursuing Betty."

Even the new character of Danny (Jane’s cousin) reminds me of Ken when the creative team threw him on the desk and sprayed him with Right Guard in season one. No one takes him seriously.

I also notcied that after Sal and Joan kiss during the election party she looks at him confused. I don't think Don was the first one in the office to be aware of Sal's homosexuality after all. I think Joan knew all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment